In the Central African Republic, the Chadian contingent of the UN peacekeeping forces have been more loyal to their fellow tribesmen and coreligionists (some have sided with the Séléka rebels, or even participated in looting together with them) than to their peacekeeping mission.
A similar issue arose in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where Pakistani peacekeeping troops have also failed in fulfilling their mission.
There should be proper investigation and into these crimes and perpetrators should be brought to justice. The ethnic and religious origin of peacekeeping forces needs to be carefully considered, and neutrality / impartiality must be guaranteed.
Latest posts by Dennis P. Petri (see all)
- De beste verhalen - July 24, 2017
- Costa Rica independiente y nosotros libres - July 17, 2017
- Freedom of religious expression - July 10, 2017
- Balancing rights - July 3, 2017
- Pactos sociales y participación en las políticas públicas: gobernabilidad neocorporativa en América Central - June 19, 2017