The Relationships Foundation’s Family Pressure Gauge has been developed to measure progress towards the goal of making Britain the ‘most family friendly country in Europe’ – the stated intent of the coalition government. It will be updated annually, provide the framework for press and policy comment as we hold government to account and will promote greater awareness of ways in which families are undermined, and may be supported.
The Relationships Foundation has been making the case for a clear over-arching family policy for a number of years. We begin our days in families, and they care for us in old age. Our families touch every aspect of our development as human beings, and of our lives at work, at home, and in society: as such they offer the greatest potential for social change, for wealth, and wellbeing. Sideline family policy and you court systemic failure.
Our index, built entirely on official data from Eurostat, Eurofound, and the OECD, shows that the UK is almost the least family friendly country in Europe. Families in the UK are the third most pressured of 27 European countries. Only families in Bulgaria and Romania have a worse time of it. Financial and work pressures, combine with poor maternity and paternity provision, and poor living environments put our families among the most pressured in Europe.
Download the report here.
Source: Relationships Foundation.
Latest posts by Plataforma C (see all)
- Foro Legislativo – jueves 7 de septiembre de 2017 – Asamblea Legislativa de la República de Costa Rica - October 23, 2017
- Stemmen vanuit het buitenland – klacht over procedure - October 17, 2017
- Medio Oriente, campo de guerra híbrida. - October 9, 2017
- Roger Scruton: How Fake Subjects like Women Studies Invaded Academia - October 2, 2017
- Message from Justin Kagin, Founder of EDI - September 25, 2017