The Relationships Foundation’s Family Pressure Gauge has been developed to measure progress towards the goal of making Britain the ‘most family friendly country in Europe’ – the stated intent of the coalition government. It will be updated annually, provide the framework for press and policy comment as we hold government to account and will promote greater awareness of ways in which families are undermined, and may be supported.
The Relationships Foundation has been making the case for a clear over-arching family policy for a number of years. We begin our days in families, and they care for us in old age. Our families touch every aspect of our development as human beings, and of our lives at work, at home, and in society: as such they offer the greatest potential for social change, for wealth, and wellbeing. Sideline family policy and you court systemic failure.
Our index, built entirely on official data from Eurostat, Eurofound, and the OECD, shows that the UK is almost the least family friendly country in Europe. Families in the UK are the third most pressured of 27 European countries. Only families in Bulgaria and Romania have a worse time of it. Financial and work pressures, combine with poor maternity and paternity provision, and poor living environments put our families among the most pressured in Europe.
Download the report here.
Source: Relationships Foundation.
Latest posts by Plataforma C (see all)
- Message from Justin Kagin, Founder of EDI - September 25, 2017
- Impresiones del Segundo Foro Economía, Diplomacia e Integridad – 7-9 de septiembre de 2017, Costa Rica - September 18, 2017
- The Holy Bookmark, a tool to counter religiously inspired violence - September 11, 2017
- Los efectos de la pornografía sobre los individuos, las familias y la sociedad - September 4, 2017
- Para su biblioteca: obras del Dr. Guilaume Groen van Prinsterer - August 28, 2017