Biblically cities are a place of refuge. They are places of Cultrual formation and communication. Cities in the Bible were smaller 1-3000 people but densely populated and behind a wall. The fortification brought protection. In cities you had law, elders in the gate, cases were solved. Decisions made. Not just blood feuds. Away from the city it was all about farming. In cities there was specialisation and hence economy.. Civilisation literally means citification. Densely populaterd and diverse even in old times.
Cities were and are places for the weak. If you are single and in your 30s or 40s and unmarried you are a freak outside of the country, but in the city you are normal. Foreigners outside of the city feel like an alien, but in the city you are not alone. In the city there is always lots of you whoever you are. Where immigrants go to assimilate. If you are homosexual out of the cities until recently you would get beaten up, but in city you are safe. Cities are harder to live in if you are white male married with a family. For everyone else cities are easier. Eg very wealthy people are minorities in smaller community they get set upon. So they congregate to cities. Cities are merciful.
Cities are places where culture is formed. God told Adam and Eve to build a culture = dominion. They failed. Heaven is a city. Coming out of heaven it wasnt a suburb or a garden In the middle of the city is the tree of life. They were meant to turn the garden into a garden city. Garden of Eden the word used was more of an urban park.
Cities are culture forming wombs. You are thrown together with people who are like you, but also with people who are not like you. This leads to massive creativity. This creative tension always births new culture. Dont abandon the place where the culture is formed and then complain about how the world is going!
Source: Adrian Warnock.
Latest posts by Plataforma C (see all)
- Denuncian cristianos extorsión del crimen - February 6, 2017
- Workshops for women: Social Transformation, Creativity and Your Next Step – Sunday 5 February 2017 – CONFIRM NOW!! - January 29, 2017
- Transcript of Dennis P. Petri’s testimony at Congressional Hearing on Religious Freedom in the Americas now available - January 23, 2017
- ¡Eso es decir las cosas por su nombre! - January 16, 2017
- De ondersteuning van FICDD voor het werk van Plataforma C in Costa Rica – interview met Dennis P. Petri - January 9, 2017